måndag 20 april 2009

The Fascination of a TV Series

There are several TV series I enjoy watching, and my two favorites right now are its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is a comedy show. The other one is House MD and it's a drama set in a hospital. So this means that these two shows bring me back for two reasons; I like to laugh and I take pleasure in following the development of certain characters or events. That’s enough reasons right?

I'll start with the comedy and why I keep coming back to it. First of all there are many comedies out there and they all have different target audiences, some go for family humor, others criticize society or they might be about nothing at all. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a relatively new show with its premiere in 2005. The simple reason for loving this show is that the jokes are new; it's like a breath of fresh air after so many recycled concepts. The camera work is a little raw, giving the look of a low-budget and homemade production. The actors are a group of unknowns except for Danny Devito that joins later in the second season. The show is basically about four friends running a bar called Paddy's Pub. The gang every so often gets involved with insane ideas that they bring on themselves, like going on a manhunt or using an abortion rally to pick up women. Forget about morals, loyalty and friendship, it's every man for himself.

My other favorite show is House MD and it's a mix between drama and comedy (Hugh Laurie is a comedian) set in a hospital. Huge Laurie acts as Dr. House, an expert on medical diagnostics that every week tries to find out what is making people ill. To his aid he has a team of three very smart doctors specialized in different areas. The thing I find the most interesting in this show is sometimes the odd cases they have to solve, mostly though it's the relationships between all the characters. House has the firm belief that everyone lies and because of that he prefers not meeting his patients unless it's absolutely necessary. Due to a pain in his leg he has become a pain killer addict which later on leads him into trouble with the law. As I said before the most exciting thing about the show is the characters, especially House with his witty and arrogant attitude.

The thing about TV-series is that some people think they should teach you the right values, set good examples for our children and so on, while yet being entertaining. When a TV-series doesn't do that, it’s "bad" for you. I remember that my all time favorite series Married With Children was threatened to be taken off the air by a woman that claimed it was hurting the nation's children. She even started a campaign but sadly for her it had the opposite effect. The show’s popularity skyrocketed. South Park has overdone this I think, instead of using stereotypes and celebrities to make South Park interesting; instead they use the stereotypes as the main focus of humor. What I mean is that the oddities of the stereotypes should be secondary to the story line. 

2 kommentarer:

  1. Dear Eric,

    Thank you for your text about your fascination of some TV series! Your language is excellent and it was a pleasure reading your blog!

    As far as the structure of your text is concerned, you deal with one series per paragraph in paragraphs 2 and 3, which is the way to go! You also have a topic sentenc in these two paragraphs, although I don’t really see what you mean by “keep coming back” in paragraph 2. There, you use transitional devices that link the contents of the text: brilliant! When it comes to the introduction and the concluding paragraph, however, you should have given some more thought to the main theme of the text. For next time, try to scetch a general background in the introduction, and make sure to end it with some kind of question or statement that will lead the reader on the right track. As far as the conclusion is concerned, try to briefly sum up your main points, and then make some kind of final remark which has to do with the topic of your main body of text.

    As far as language is concerned, there were just two things I’d like to point out to you. First, think about which relative pronouns you should use, as in “Danny Devito that joins later”, “Dr. House, an expert on medical diagnostics that every week tries to find out” and “by a woman that claimed” (§206). Secondly, think about when to use the of-genitive (§63), which you should have done in “the nation’s children” and “The show’s popularity”. Perhaps I should also mention sentence construction in “and my two favorites right now are its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is a comedy show. The other one is House MD and it's a drama set in a hospital.”, where you should have joined up the two sentences in the following way: “...show, and House MD, which is...”. Also, I don’t really see what you mean by “brings me back” in paragraph 1. A piece of advice when you write texts like this is to use italics when you write the name of a show or a book in order to bring it out from the rest of the text. Otherwise you write extremely well!

    Looking forward to reading your next blog!

    Best,
    Marika

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Eric.
    I enjoyed to read about your favourite series, both of them were series that I haven't even thought about to look at. They seems to be fun and I might give them a change after reading this.

    You have a good language and it's seems to me like there is correct grammar. It´s easy to understand what you writing about. The paragraphs you have is good and intreresting! Maybe a better summary at the end that tie everything together.

    /Karin

    SvaraRadera